Many of us are involved in jobs that require us to sit at a desk, staring at a screen or hunched over a keyboard. At the end of the day, we might end up feeling an uncomfortable stiffness in our muscles which makes movement cumbersome. This kind of sedentary routine is detrimental to our health. Not only that, it can cause burnout and add to your mental stress.
It’s best to be able to start or end your day at a state-of-the-art gym like Atmosphere Gym at the Al Nadi al Burhani Academy located on Old Queens Road in the hub of Karachi. Furthermore, the team of physical fitness experts at Atmosphere Gym has put together three simple and practical ways to integrate daily movement into your routine so that your muscles feel agile and you end up being rejuvenated and more productive.
- Fix a morning routine: If you start the day early with a quick jog you are bound to feel in top form the entire day. You could do this in your garden, street or nearby park, club, or even your rooftop. Other than that, if you are running late you can spare 10 minutes for a quick morning movement routine at home.
Step 1: Roll each foot out on a tennis ball from heel to toe. Try to bend forward from the hips, holding opposite elbows, and let your head hang heavily. Nod your head yes and shake it no, gently.
Step 2: Another quick morning movement can be sitting on the floor with your legs stretched out in front of you, crossing your right leg over your left, and keeping your left straight. Plant your right foot flat on the ground and use your left elbow on the outside of your right knee to twist. Turn from your core, and then look to the back of the room.
- Find an excuse to walk: Walking to your workplace could be ideal if your place of work is nearby. The same goes for going to the pharmacy or going grocery shopping. Try to walk rather than take your car. This can help you loosen your muscles, cleanse your lungs and release tension to help you focus on the tasks ahead of you. Many people have a habit of pacing when talking on the phone. You could do this in a long corridor or verandah. This helps you get moving and release some energy in a day that might normally be spent sitting in a chair. Taking time out to walk intermittently will help accelerate the blood flow to your brain, brainstorm ideas and articulate them passionately.
- Indulge in a Desk Stretch: Being seated at a desk for a few hours can create neck and shoulder pain, soreness in the back, and even cramp your legs. In case there is no opportunity to walk around, here’s how you can do a quick desk stretch just by standing near your desk:
- 10 shoulder rolls in each direction.
- Rolling your wrists out in each direction.
- Shaking out your hands.
- Rotating your torso
- Looking to the back of the room.
These three simple methods if incorporated into your life with discipline can help you get moving daily which is sure to help you feel better, achieve mental clarity, and raise energy levels and productivity. Visit one of the best gyms in Karachi–Atmosphere Gym–to select a fitness plan best suited to your lifestyle and opt for a healthier and fitter existence.